Re: [Denemo-devel] Release Version Freeze

From: alex stone
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Release Version Freeze
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 19:10:36 +0300

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 6:40 PM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 14:27 +0100, Nils wrote:
>> A release candidate can be found here: Please test Linux and Windows builds.
>>
>> http://ssh.nilsgey.de/denemo-0.8.12-0.mingw.exe
>>

> This is, of course a windows binary installer, for linux use overnight
> tarball (?).
> I have downloaded the windows binary on a laptop running vista. I had to
> set the value 22050 in MainMenu->Edit->Change
> Preferences->Fluidsynth->Sample Rate in order to get acceptable sound
> output.
> MIDI in worked out of the box, as indeed, did everything else I tried. I
> noticed that the MIDI control of tempo set up by the Directives->Tempo
> script is wrong - it creates a series of directives, which will not
> work, the main directive giving the print out is ok though. I expect
> this is a general bug, requiring a d-CursorLeft in the script - or one
> of the new directive creation calls before filling in values. This can
> be fixed with a downloadable script change, though on Windows there is
> no automatic installation of such updates:( I wonder if someone could
> describe the windows procedure for downloading
> denemo.org/downloads/actions to $HOME\.denemo\downloads or whatever it
> is exactly? So that the more savvy windows users with an ftp gui say
> could do it?)
>
> A big thank you to Nils for this build. Please be prompt if you find
> serious problems that need to be fixed, as it will get very difficult to
> fix them later.
>
> Richard

Not sure this is serious enough for this build, but using jackmidi,
when i playback a succession of notes of the same pitch and length,
i,.e, C5 minims, there's an accumulative effect (Each note is added to
the one before building up layers of multiple sounding notes). As if
the note offs for each note are not being sent as the next note is of
the same pitch and duration, with no break between notes. As the soon
as the pitch is changed, or there's a rest after the last note in the
sequence, the pattern is broken, the note off seems to be sent, and
everything returns to normal.

I've seen and heard this one in apps before, and it's usually fixed
with successive notes of the same pitch, butted against each other,
being given (user defined) a less than 100% duration (99, 98, 97%
etc., as not all sample libs respond in the same way to release
timing) during playback. This is common for large sample libs with
release and non release samples, so it's not just denemo as an app
that has had to deal with this challenge.

Alex.

--
www.openoctave.org

address@hidden