Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi input via Fluidsynth is broken

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi input via Fluidsynth is broken
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 15:35:49 +0000

Another point, more generally:
        the "overlay" concept - where you type in the rhythms and then overlay
by playing the notes over the top - is built-in for MIDI input.
That is, selecting the Audible Feedback/Rhythm Entry option on the mode
menu means that when you play notes via MIDI in they get overlaid on
what is there, with cursor advance etc.

There is a whole chunk of code devoted to storing up pitches entered at
the keyboard in a "tone store" and these are overlaid onto the rhythms
present, all done for the pitch recognition entry route, where spurious
notes can be detected, and you want to be able to delete them and have
all the others move to their correct positions. It is very elaborate and
not needed for reliable MIDI in. MIDI in just needs to go straight in to
the processing that is done when "Insert" rather than "Overlays" is
checked in the pitch entry control panel. The bad feature was that the
MIDI was being turned into Hz in order to do this, and that is what you
are trying to fix I hope.

Richard