Re: [Denemo-devel] Compilation on Ubuntu Karmic

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Compilation on Ubuntu Karmic
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 18:58:08 +0000

On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 19:27 +0100, Pietro Battiston wrote:

> Richard, I certainly have no competence to teach you about Denemo, but
> I'm 100% sure that I compiled with no particular options and I'm
> currently able to use denemo through jack (yes, seeing it appearing in
> qjackctl for instance, and all those wonderful things). I was wrong only
> in the fact that (as reported in a previous email) this happens with
> FluidSynth, not portaudio.
>
> Notice however that I only see output audio channels, not MIDI ones...
> is this what you're referring to?

yes MIDI clients is what I was referring to - I didn't know about
fluidsynth talking to JACK as purely audio.

This is the important bit: without --enable-jack you don't get "all
those wonderful things". You just get things created on the fly by
fluidsynth (so if you add a new staff, where does its output go? etc).
With --enable-jack you get a "device manager" turning up. It lets you
name and define clients, and in the staff prefs you can assign them and
so on. I don't know the details here (I don't do this sort of thing) but
I am told this is good stuff - you set up your orchestra in the device
manager and then you can open up your score and have it connect to all
the right devices on the other side of JACK. There is a whole bunch of
stuff there that is quite a step forward in available technology.