Re: [Denemo-devel] A Good Idea

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] A Good Idea
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 18:08:33 -0600

On Mar 4, 2010, at 6:46 AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

I have had a Good Idea for scrolling while playing back. It occurred to
me after playing live MIDI with Denemo's playback and chatting about
this with Nils on irc #denemo.
It applies to the case where you are displaying several systems (lines)
of the music down the screen. At present provided the playhead is in
view, it moves along the music and when it gets to the last measure
starts scrolling the music a measure at a time (or some such!).
What we can do is mimic what happens when you turn a page at the piano,
or in the orchestra pit. *BUT* with an extra twist - the page has been
cut horizontally betwen the systems, and only the top half, which has
already been played is turned. This can happen in advance - when you
reach the bottom system - so your eye can move on whenever it likes as
you approach the bottom of the page.

This is described on denemo.org
http://denemo.org/index.php/Midi_Player_Controls
in this way:
I propose a page turning effect with the novelty that the page is cut
between the top two systems. When you reach the bottom system the top
system of the next page is drawn at the top (with a break sign at the
end of the line). When you reach the top line the rest of that page is
drawn. This is like you had an assistant to turn the page for you, with the added benefit that he can turn the top part of the page (which is no
longer playing) while you are looking at the last line, and the rest
once you have started at the top.

I have a script doing Midi thru, which lets you play along with the
playback, but it will be better implemented in C
Then we can store each midi event in an smf_track_t and ....

I would like to take a look at this script so I can better understand what it is that needs done. Is it in git?

Jeremiah

J. would you like to look at importmidi.c with a view to separating out
the file open/new score/new staff stuff from the core function that
takes an smf_track and puts the smf_events into a given staff?