[Denemo-devel] Before Denemo 0.8.18

From: Nils Gey
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Before Denemo 0.8.18
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 19:42:25 +0200

Hello,

before we can release 0.8.18 there are a few "nagging" things that need changes.

1) I started Denemo for the first time since recent changes and got "Default /
Composer / Arranger". This is not enough description, even for me!
I didn't know what to do and what to expect and just choose default. There need
at last to be two or three senteces of explanation for each item, assuming the
user has never touched Denemo before.

2) There are far too many menu bars present by default.
I think MidiIn, Snippets, and the Console should be hidden at start because
they are just needed if you already know about them (empty .denemo)

I think the Notes/Rest bar should be hidden by default, too. It just enters
non-printing objects by default if you click with the mouse on them, which
would be the first intuitive thing to try. And this is not a thing new users
should encounter. Instead enhance documentation and tutorials, if needed. And
its the ugliest part of Denemo, too. Sorry to say this.

2b) MidiInControl and PlaybackControl do not have a "show" switch in
preferences. Should be there.

3) For the same reasons (space for notation) what about decreasing the default
zoomfactor to 90% instead of the current 100%?

4) Why is the Tempo and Volume slider in a new row instead of right of the
playback controls? And why are those sliders and not fields to enter the value
directly and [ArrowUp] [ArrowDown] ? Should save a lots of space and it better
to control, too. Hm... as I write this I remember that Richard uses the tempo
slider to find the speed in a graphical way.

4b) Is the Volume Slider of use to anyone? By default Denemo has a very low
volume (I think Midi 64 of 127) and the volume-slider works with percent and
only to make the volume lower, not higher.

Nils