Re: [Denemo-devel] Lilypond says commented out barlines %| from Denemo a

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Lilypond says commented out barlines %| from Denemo are a bug.
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 17:16:21 +0100

The bug is simply no-one has written a script to check that the division
into denemo measures follows convention, taking action as preferred by
the user.
It is not useful for Denemo to ask LilyPond to issue warnings about
measure lengths because Denemo is quite capable of doing that itself,
but has more difficulty interpreting warnings from LilyPond and relaying
them to the user. (It used to just relay them wholesale, but then real
errors were lost amidst spurious warnings when the Denemo measure does
not coincide with the automatic barlines generated by LilyPond).

There are a number of other checks that should be made: unterminated
slurs, unterminated tuplets, notes spanning barlines, empty measures. We
should perhaps not await some grand design for this, but just put in the
more frequent gotchas as an optional script to call before a print.

Richard