[Denemo-devel] Upbeat

From: Nils Gey
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Upbeat
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 20:39:48 +0100

In git is now a new Upbeat command. It works on ticks basis and therefore needs
only basic math instead of crawling through the measure and counting notes.
The main thing that distinguishes Upbeat from Anacrusis and ShortMeasure is
that it creates a valid, complete and full Denemo measure. Since lilyponds
\partial does not work only in the beginning but anywhere this can be used to
make any measure "full", no matter how many real notes are in there.
The script deletes/updates itself if invoked a second time. But Denemos
directives are static, so if you change the number of real notes in a measure
you have to invoke the script a second time. This is no different from before
or any other Directive.

Since the Measure is "complete" for Denemo it should just work with any "check
partial measure" or ReBar scripts.

Funny thing is that I created all this conversion and math stuff the last two
days (in denemo.scm) and in the end I realized I don't need this at all. This
makes it more easy to maintain :)

I don't know if I missed a part for what Anacrusis is used or if Upbeat has
different behaviour you do not like.

In other words: Please test.

Nils

P.S.
There is a chance that it will break on VERY VERY complex durations. Very
complex means that fractions of a 256th note has to be in the equation. But
short tests with a triplet of 256th and deleting one and dotting one just
worked surprisingly. Maybe there is some Lilypond mechanism that helps us, too.
On the other hand: Those are the same durations that break the Tick-System at
all, not only Upbeat. So anything that relies on Ticks (midi playback?) will
break anyway then.