Re: [Denemo-devel] d-GetMidi

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] d-GetMidi
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 15:56:39 +0000

On Mon, 2011-01-31 at 09:03 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> I am going to retire GetMidi unless anyone has an objection.
I do!
Firstly, we cannot retire commands, only invent new ones. This is
because we don't know who out there has scripts depending on them. (I
know, at present very few).

Secondly, this command is very busy at work in most Midi filters.

>  It does
> not do what the documentation says it does.
The documentation is:

Intercepts a MIDI event and returns it as a 4 byte number

Not very loquacious, but that class of MIDI events that are 4 bytes are
returned as the value of this procedure. In
actions/menus/MainMenu/InputMenu/MIDI/AngryDelete you get to see how the
4 bytes are decoded

 (set! midi (d-GetMidi))
 (set! velocity (bit-extract midi 16 24))
 (set! command (bit-extract midi 0 8))

Not pleasant, but I suspect I knew that there would not be time to make
separate calls from scheme to get all the parts of the MIDI event -
these Midi filters are working live as you play in.

Richard