Re: [Denemo-devel] Checking for wrong enharmonics (e.g C# for Db)

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Checking for wrong enharmonics (e.g C# for Db)
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 09:57:32 +0100

On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 15:30 -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> I thought further about the pitch-spelling and realized that the
> algorithm
> I presented will flag all diminished sevenths as problems.  It would
> definitely need some tweaking to avoid way too many spurious alerts.
Yes, I have implemented it, and indeed the first thing I hit was a
diminished 7th (it was the Bach two part invention in Dmin leaping down
from Bb to C# near the beginning of the piece).
> However, it would work fine for what you wrote about, just identifying
> what kind of interval is between notes.
yes, I think it will work out just fine that it plays the more
spectacular intervals in a different timbre - they feel so different
that it will seem quite natural, as if the player is trying to emphasize
the scrunchy nature of the interval by changing the tone-color.

> I'm curious to see how those authors solved the problem of
> pitch-spelling.
>  I'm thinking of a new algorithm that at each note, checks if it's in
> certain expected range (which for C major could be A flat to C#), flag
> if
> it's not in that range, and shift the range as appropriate (for
> instance,
> encountering an F# might shift the range sharpwise).
Yes, I have been thinking the same thing, in fact I have coded it
somewhere (very recently but not quite recently enough for me to
remember where!). The downside is you cannot jump in to the middle of a
piece and play in some notes (something I rarely do, as a transcriber of
scores). My current algorithm (ie using your suggestion) looks at the
current and previous notes in the score immediately after MIDI-in has
entered a note, so it would work anywhere. I think it might even work
editing a single note in the middle of a score, though I usually use the
pc keyboard in that case, pressing the note-name key. I haven't done
anything with chords though, and figured bass will still be at risk of
idiotic intervals.

I will try to get down to some real-life use of Denemo and see if I have
this dratted pitch-spelling problem swatted now. (It really annoys me to
find I have printed out and bound up an entire sonata, we have sat down
to play and there is some enharmonic idiocy in the middle of the third
page).
Thanks for all the help!