Re: [Denemo-devel] Articulations

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Articulations
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 10:36:02 +0000

On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 22:17 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> On 12/08/2011 12:57 PM, Richard Shann wrote:
> > Jeremiah,
> > My irc #denemo connection keeps dropping. About articulations, what
> we
> > really need is to be able to create actions for toggling each
> > articulation using the feta font symbol in the menu label and
> display,
> > and of course creating the appropriate LilyPond syntax.
> > With things like staccatissimo the dot in the display needs to be
> > sensitive to the stem direction - which may require some more
> > infrastructure support (in drawnotes.c).
>
> I just pushed an example. Let me know if I am in the correct direction
> here.
I see you adding Marcato by cloning code for other articulations, that
is creating another built-in. This is quite the opposite of what I
meant!
The idea is to remove all those built-in articulations and replace them
with scripts that add a directive to the note, displaying the symbol and
outputting the lilypond. Something like

;;;ToggleMarcato
(let ((tag "Marcato"))
        (if (d-DirectiveTag-note? tag)
                (d-DirectiveDelete tag)
                (begin
                        (d-DirectivePut-note-display tag FETA_MARCATO)
                        (d-DirectivePut-note-override tag something to make it
display the
symbol relative to the stem direction)
                        (d-DirectivePut-note-postfix tag "\\marcato")

the main task is to create the strings like FETA_MARCATO which hold the
utf8 values of the lilypond glyphs.

But once done, it should be possible to add further articulations just
by naming the glyph and the lilypond syntax etc. No re-compiling Denemo
with new C code written for the particular articulation.
Note:
        Where I put d-DirectivePut-note-xxx it would be
d-DirectivePut-chord-xxx for most articulations, which apply to all the
notes not individual notes in a chord.
        I am not sure whether positioning relative to stem up/down has been
implemented yet. (would be DENEMO_OVERRIDE_SOMETHING_OR_OTHER...), or it
may be the default.