[Denemo-devel] [bug #36969] Yet Another Crash with 0.9.5rc2 Windows

From: John Beattie
Subject: [Denemo-devel] [bug #36969] Yet Another Crash with 0.9.5rc2 Windows
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 13:11:40 +0000

Follow-up Comment #10, bug #36969 (project denemo):

I have been monitoring my machine with the Windows "Reliability and
Performance Monitor" and that suggests that there is a memory leak while
denemo is running. I can't tie it down any better than that as I have only
course measurements.
I have 3GB of memory on my machine. After loading Denemo I have about 1.5GB
free. While Denemo is running I loose about 1MB every 4 or 5 seconds.
Occasionally it appears as if a garbage collector is called and memory is
freed again. Sometimes this can free up several hundred MB but it is never
enough to restore the system to the way it was so very slowly I loose memory.
While I have more than 1GB free, there are no problems. At some undetermined
point between 500MB and 1GB free, Denemo becomes unstable and is likely to
crash while saving, autosaving or displaying "Denemo Print View".
NB does "Denomo Print View" include some sort of Adobe-supplied plugin? The
Adobe Acrobat X reader also becomes unstable when the memory is low and it
crashes in a similar way to Print View i.e. it will display first part of new
document but as soon as you touch the window with a mouse, e.g. to make window
bigger, it crashes.
I suspect that all the unexplained crashes I have been seeing are indirectly
caused by this memory leak. Ideally a failure to acquire memory should not
cause a crash, but when you get to the stage where you have to abort an action
and are unable to even inform the user, then that gets a bit tricky.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?36969>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/