[Denemo-devel] Static Linking (was Re: tablature status (August 2012))

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Static Linking (was Re: tablature status (August 2012))
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 09:24:31 +0100

On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 23:16 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> On 08/18/2012 04:18 PM, Richard Shann wrote:
> > On Sat, 2012-08-18 at 09:46 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> >> Things seem extremely broken in gub fur the static linux build.
> > I didn't realize you were thinking of something that ambitious -
> > building for linux with gub.
> > What I had in mind was to build a static binary version of denemo,
> (so
> > the libraries like gtk, libevince ... would all be statically linked
> > the denemo executable), while the user would have to install
> LilyPond
> > themselves.
> > I imagined you doing this by creating a new target in the Makefile
> with
> > the link line using -Bstatic (working from memory of 10 years ago)
> > get a statically linked binary. I imagine something may need to be
> done
>
> I have been trying this. Unfortunately, I have tried with -static and
> -Bstatic but each time `ldd denemo` returns a huge list of
> dynamically
> linked libraries. I read somewhere online that the library linked
> needs
> to be statically compiled itself in order to statically link it.
I have dug around and you are quite right it seems:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1022120/do-i-need-static-libraries-to-statically-link

I presume that statically linked libraries are not readily available,
and so this would take too much work...

I still can't push to git - I have emailed savannah about it. I have
several useful fixes pending.