Re: [Denemo-devel] bugs (new user)

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] bugs (new user)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 09:40:52 +0000

On Thu, 2012-11-15 at 03:03 -0600, address@hidden wrote:
> Using 0.9.6 in WinXP-Pro sp3 on a Dell D630 laptop, 2G RAM with 650MB
> still available according to task manager.
>
> 1)When entering notes with editor and playing back what I've just added, I
> sometimes get the red vertical bar denoting an error
The red vertical bar does not mean an error, it is the user-chosen point
where the music should stop playing. The controls to the left of the
play/stop/record buttons move this (as do commands such as "Play from
cursor to end" etc).

>  when, really, there
> isn't an error.  I figured out that I could clear the condition by exiting
> denemo and restarting.
The Reset in the Playback controls should clear the old start and end
markers.

> 2)Quitting denemo fails consistently.....compiles Lilypond then partially
> freezes with the window still open and the process still listed in the
> task manager.  The window  still has execution; I can drag it around the
> desktop and I can click the red X to tell it to shut down again, whereupon
> Windows responds with a "this program has stopped responding...." message.
>  I respond with "end now" and finally it quits.  If I did a save before I
> quit, everything is intact when I restart the program.
This is a bug in Denemo on windows. It is actually another copy of
windows that has been started to make a thumbnail, and that is hanging
on exit because the portaudio library deliberately hangs. The
thumbnailing should not be attempted on windows (as it is not used by
windows) - 1st bug, *and* we should be compiling portaudio with a flag
to make it not do that hanging (bizarrely, there is a flag to turn this
behavior off - I have no idea why they think it is useful).

> Now, admittedly my installation of WinXP is pretty dirty from me
> installing and removing many programs that I've tested.  And Task manager
> shows 52 processes active when only Firefox and Thunderbird are running.
> Maybe I should install denemo on a fresh, clean install of XP.
Don't blame your installation in this case.

> 3) I got admitted to this developer list (obviously) but for the main
> website login I applied but never got the confirmation email.  So I
> applied again with a different UID and still didn't get the confirmation
> email.  If I reapply with the original UID I get an "ID already taken"
> error, but I can't log in with it, because it isn't confirmed.
Can you submit a bug to the mailing-list-software project (I think it is
Savannah or something) - I once had similar experiences, its just that
no-one tells them I think. Partly because it is not completely obvious
where to submit to - I think when you are creating an account there is
something at the bottom of the page about who runs this mailing list
stuff.

> 4) I see, in a previous post on this list today, references to 0.9.7.  But
> I can't find 0.9.7 in the executables available for download.  I'd be
> happy to use 0.9.7 if I could find it.  I can't compile it myself.
Jeremiah has created 0.9.7 .exe's for Windows (they live in
www.denemo.org/downloads) but, unlike the Linux builds they have serious
regressions (as well as great new features). Only worth looking at,
probably, though I would very much appreciate feedback on what they are
like.

> This is a spectacular program and worthy project.
Since the last release it has gotten more spectacular still - watch how
the display keeps you informed about navigating, deleting etc, and how
you can drag slurs and beams on the final typeset...

Richard