Re: [Denemo-devel] Translating Menu Paths

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Translating Menu Paths
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 16:31:12 +0100

On Mon, 2013-05-13 at 09:15 +0200, Éloi Rivard wrote:
> Well, I imagine that it would basically be a function that would split
> a string (using strtok or such), translate tokens and rebuild a string
> from them. I can do that when I have a bit of time.

I think there may be something trickier here: the elements of the menu
path are already strings that have been used elsewhere in the program
and are known to xgettext from their occurrence somewhere in the
program(*). If we just stripped out the elements of the path we would
need something to relate these strings to the ones that xgettext has
seen. We need to store the menu path in untranslated form so that it can
be used to traverse the file system, but we perhaps need to store a
translated version of it when it is built out of the component strings
that xgettext has seen.
Richard
(*) I think there are two places where menu names are introduced - once
via generate_source.c where GtkActions are created for the built in
menus and (I am not sure but I think) somewhere else for sub menus that
are created to hold scripted commands. The somewhere else would be
during the parsing of Default.commands.