Re: [Denemo-devel] Upgrading the user interface

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Upgrading the user interface
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 19:17:27 +0100

On Tue, 2013-09-03 at 19:17 +0200, Éloi Rivard wrote:
> Glade file format is designed to store GTK UIs. Plus it has a great
> editor, that allow to design interfaces coherent with the rest of the
> system. Maybe it would fit there ?

I had a look at glade before I wrote. I didn't see how it would help
here; the task is not to design a layout of buttons and other controls,
but to allow the user to create sets of buttons, positioned where they
would want them.
My proposal narrows this down to sets of buttons either in a row or in a
column, the row or column being either in a separate top level window or
in the main window (either horizontally or vertically).

When I say "the task is ..." what I am thinking is that Denemo is
unusual in that there are potentially vast numbers of commands which
form into sets used by particular users. By allowing users to create
sets of commands relevant to them I think we could create a program that
many would be able to use without being unable to find the commands they
want. Denemo could be shipped with various sets, for Marching Bands,
Vocal, Piano, Early Music, ... which could be a starting point for
people to customize.

Richard