Re: [Denemo-devel] more miscellania

From: Bric
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] more miscellania
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 11:14:11 -0400

On 10/05/2013 07:56 AM, Richard Shann wrote:
On Sat, 2013-10-05 at 04:58 -0400, Bric wrote:
(1) note insertion at cursor: sometimes I can't insert between notes.  I
arrow right or left, and the cursor lands on one note or another; and
then when I type my "a", "b", "c", denemo ALTERS the existing note, (the
one I'm cursored on), instead of inserting a new one, and I can't seem
to find a way to insert in between!!
lower case "a" changes the note at the cursor to A, Shift-A, Shift-A (or
a,a with caps lock on) inserts the note A in the current duration. You
can see the shortcuts set on the relevant menu. (So for inserting a note
look in the menu Notes/Rests->Note Insertion). If you are not using a
MIDI keyboard then you can insert using a duration key, which is a
single key stroke.

I'll keep playing with that (just now had dubious results...); i think hitting the standard "Ins" (insert) key may also work. OK. I think I hear a bongo sound, which, I guess alert-prompts me about insertion mode, such that the next key stroke in that mode causes an insertion. OK. Clever. Intelligent design ;-)))

(2) undo:  sometimes "undo" simply fails (and throws me into a big
panic).  I can, for example, accidentally change a duration, or insert
an unwanted note or directive, then try to "undo", and denemo PARTIALLY
undoes a few steps, and then ignores my big nasty problem, by-passing it
in its undo steps(!)
Yes, Undo is buggy (sorry) ... if you create a completely reproducible
example it is worth creating a bug report for it. (Completely
reproducible means starting with File->New and then xx, yy, zz,...,
Undo. Or some such thing). (The problem is, I virtually never use Undo,
so I never get to know of simple cases where it doesn't work).

I'll try to reproduce.... (even if there are people on this planet who might not want me to... [sorry just couldn't help turning THAT phrase] :-)

(3) scrolling:  scrolling is frantic sometimes and imposing.  Maybe
that's, again, linux-specific.
Not at all, GNU/Linux is the only system that gets tested a lot. Its the
only version I use.

comforting... in a sense... (but the latest git DOES get a lot more sluggish than my old 0.9.3 (!) - what else could it be but the animations ?)

  The animation effects might work
flawlessly in windows, on certain systems, but for my gtk2 and old
Ubuntu it's a pain in the ***; i think they're definitely slowing things
down for me BIG TIME.
this is not likely, the animation effect is not synchronous, it only
affects the drawing when the drawing is done, which is when there is a
lull in activity. And then it only changes what is drawn. It simply
aborts and starts again if you move the cursor during the period when it
would be active.
I just looked and I don't see a pref for turning it off :(

But a consensus to provide this is building, right?  ;-))

    And when I arrow forward,
Do you mean the right arrow keypress, assigned to MoveCursorRight? Are
you holding it down (thereby triggering the key repeat feature). I can
imagine that giving trouble. I think something would have to be done to
stop Denemo re-drawing when a large number of keypresses are coming in.
Try Ctrl-right arrow to move a bar at a time.

  wishing to progress
just a couple of bars, denemo scrolls forward too much, and then
sometimes it does it on its own;
that is your repeat key thing I guess - you have piled up a queue of
right arrow keypresses that

I'll keep testing/observing this

  then I've got to scroll back, and
that's very sluggish... yada-yada. Can I at least turn off cursor zoom
animation? I haven't understood how.

(4) tool tips.  I've learned how to "cope" with them... but why should I
have to (?)  they seriously get in the way; where can I turn them off? I
see "Turn on all tooltips" in "Preferences", command behavior,
that is to turn on the really newbie ones that people will not want once
they have got going.

  and I
have that UNchecked, but they still won't go away!
Look further down the same tab,  set the tooltip timeouts to some large
values.

OK, that works.  Two down.  Four to go ;-)