Re: [Denemo-devel] restore default "score layout" ?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] restore default "score layout" ?
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2013 10:13:18 +0100

On Sat, 2013-10-05 at 20:29 -0400, Bric wrote:

> >> Once again: DO *NOT* USE THE STAFF PROPERTIES DIALOG! THIS IS A SEPARATE
> >> COMMAND! Look at Staffs/Voices -> Staff Properties -> Instrument Name
> >> (directly in the Staff Properties submenu, *not* in the Built-in Staff
> >> Properties dialog.
> >>

> > A-ha! Finally, we're getting somewhere. We've spotted that which does
> > not exist — for me.
> >
> > Under Staffs/Voices -> Staff Properties -> { ... }
> >
> > I've got only two sub-items: [1] Built-in Staff Properties and [2]
> > Edit Staff directives
> >
> > There is no
> >
> > Under Staffs/Voices -> Staff Properties -> Instrument Name
> >
> > for me.
> >
> > (If I understood you correctly)
> >
> > What to do? Can I copy & paste some config code-bit - I don't want to
> > lose my current, painstakingly developed settings
> >

> resorted to lilypond for now  (  \new Staff = "Blah" \with {
> instrumentName = #"Blah" } ) to get my instrument name/labels in the
> final PDF
>
> Also, attaching things to the FIRST note in a bar causes bizarre things
> sometimes:
>
> I attached a mezopiano to the first note of a bar, and that caused a
> partial muting!

The Dynamics command have a set of default MIDI volume levels attached.

>   That bar and all the subsequent bars got muted, until a
> few bars later some other directive unmuted it (for regular denemo playback)
>
> Then, I got the previously discussed lilypond failure (INVALID lilypond)
> when I attached the \circle lilypond code to the first note of a bar (
> ^\markup \circle "A" )  — when I moved this same lilypond code over one
> note to the right (to the SECOND note of the bar), lilypond rendered OK.

Presumably the ^\markup was coming before the note (in the LilyPond
output) and so LilyPond had nothing to attach it to. I believe you can
use <> as an empty chord to attach markup to in this circumstance.

<>^\markup "hello"

I think Denemo has a command to do this - a sort of standalone Marking -
see Directives->Markings ...

Richard