Re: [Denemo-devel] MIDI instrument selection

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] MIDI instrument selection
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 17:18:05 +0000

On Sat, 2013-11-02 at 11:49 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > I've just dug back into git and found that at one time we had a
> fancy
> > pattern-matching algorithm installed that took a guess at the name
> and
> > emitted the best match (assuming GM). Shall I revert to that -
> assuming
> > we don't have time to debug sffile... Or would people prefer to
> enter a
> > MIDI program number?
>
> I would prefer not to enter a program number. The reason I changed it
> was because there are sounds in our soundfont that is not in the GM
> list. I believe there was also things in the GM list that was absent
> from our soundfont.
Well, this is just the problem, if I look using a sound font librarian
program it lists the complete GM set of names for Bank 0 programs 0-127.
But when I look at what sffile.c lists Bank 0 as starting with program 0
called SynVoice which the sound font librarian program says is in bank
127. I don't know what sf.preset[i].hdr.name contains, but they are not
the same strings as listed by the sound font librarian program, not the
GM set of names (not for any bank number that is).

Can you confirm that when you start up the staff prop dialog, MIDI tab
the instrument name drop down starts at SynVoice for you too? It should
be Acoustic Grand Piano according to wikipedia's GM instrument list, and
according to the sound font librarian program what is actually in the
A302 at Bank 0, program 0 has the name Acoustic Piano (without the
Grand).