Re: [Denemo-devel] Recovering score from old Denemo version

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Recovering score from old Denemo version
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 11:04:15 +0000

Sorry about this - the problem is the Movements->(Print) Mensural
Barlines command which was generating something no longer valid.
Attached is your file with the original directives deleted and the
command re-applied. I see that there is a problem with the bar lengths
at the end of the piece, but I guess that is just because it isn't
finished (?) - there is an empty measure.

This has been very useful in bringing home to me how much more useful it
would be to tell the user where the problem lies in this sort of
circumstance - this is really quite easy to do: when LilyPond errors are
ticked Denemo could generate references to the directives that are
responsible for each bit of text in the score layout as comments in the
LilyPond text. (In this case you needed Movement->Edit
Directives->Layout Directives->MensuralBarlines )

Furthermore, I realize that it would be possible to get the program to
do this for you - it could remove directives one by one checking for
whether the program would typeset correctly, and when it did restore the
score and alert the user to that directive, offering to delete it, etc.
This is somewhat more ambitious, but will work reasonably quickly since
LilyPond exits very early if the syntax is mangled up like this.
In your case the mensural barlines script actually installs two
directives, one at score level (Score->Edit Directives->Score
directives->MensuralBarlines), the other at Movement level. And it took
two goes to remove the second - that needs investigation!

I have a longer term plan to allow you to delete offending syntax like
this directly in the LilyPond window - you can only do this for
directives on notes, chords, standalone at the moment. You should be
able to do it in the score block too. This would be for the more
technically savvy user, of course.

So - thank you for alerting me to all this!

Richard