Re: [Denemo-devel] Newbie getting MIDI K/B to work with ALSA and qjackct

From: Philip Rhoades
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Newbie getting MIDI K/B to work with ALSA and qjackctl - update - some progress
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 10:58:36 +1100

Edgar,

On 2014-01-19 20:04, Edgar Aichinger wrote:
Am Sonntag, 19. Januar 2014, 14:08:26 schrieb Philip Rhoades:

This is what I have in Edit-Preferences-Audio/MIDI - seemingly no matter
what I do:

   Audio Backend
     PortAudio
     JACK
     none

   Output Device
     Lots of ALSA devices

the third panel has:

   MIDI Backend
     ALSA
     JACK
     none

- can you tell me what you see in your setup?

The same. My build supports portaudio, but not portmidi, because of
the bug i referred to in my previous post. I tried to come up with a
quick solution yesterday, but failed, and won't have much time next
week to look at it again, sorry.

For me choosing either ALSA or JACK as MIDI Backend just works. For
JACK the jackd server has to be running of course...

Choosing the backend and pressing OK immediately creates the
respective denemo port, so it become visible in e.g. qjackctl in the
ALSA resp. MIDI tab (right panel), and I can connect my keyboard (left
panel) to it.

To use JACK MIDI properly you have to start the a2jmidid daemon or use
the -X seq commandline option (MIDI driver config option in qjackctl)
to jackd, both methods will forward ALSA MIDI ports to the JACK MIDI
system. JACK MIDI itself doesn't create hardware ports, so you need
that to see your MIDI keyboard in qjackctl's MIDI tab. a2jmidid is
preferred over -X seq because it supplies better MIDI timing.

OK, I have made some progress but a thorough analysis would require lots of reboots of my server and I don't have time to do that at the moment - sticking to ALSA for the time being:

- if I boot with the MIDI K/B plugged in - user "phil" can't get ANYTHING going at all - no normal sound with mplayer, no MIDI connections; root can get sound reliably and MIDI connections about half the time; I think the order of the sound cards is being changed and also there is a permission problem somewhere - I tried chmodding everything in /dev/snd to 666 but it didn't help

- if I boot WITHOUT the MIDI K/B plugged in and plug it in after booting - user phil and root can actually have normal sound plus MIDI connection maybe about half of the time? - sometimes the existing Preferences setup "just works" - like you said, but sometimes I have to reselect an item and save it or select something else, save it and then change back to what is listed above - sometimes I can't get it to work until another reboot

- with limited testing, a cold boot seems to give better results than a warm boot?

- sometimes, making some change or other will cause the loss of sound and I will have to reboot just to get a working machine

At least now I know it can be made to work eventually, even if the situation seems to be a bit hit and miss . .

Thanks to all!

Regards,

Phil.
--