Re: [Denemo-devel] make dist failing

From: Paul Brossier
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] make dist failing
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 12:41:43 -0400

On 01/29/2014 11:17 AM, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-01-29 at 10:33 -0400, Paul Brossier wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> On 29/01/2014 05:51, Richard Shann wrote:
>>> I was forgetting about this libaubio problem when I suggested we
>>> create the release. Unfortunately, I am at a loss to say how we
>>> should proceed - there is no response so far on the aubio site.
>>> We could treat it as libsmf, so that we have our own copy of the
>>> aubio code (we only need to build the library) for use where the
>>> external version is unavailable. Or we could bracket the
>>> aubio-specific parts of Denemo with #ifdef _HAVE_AUBIO_ (this
>>> would mean no microphone input and no opening audio tracks for
>>> transcription).
>>
>> Sorry I did not document the API changes. I will submit a patch
>> soon to update denemo to aubio 0.4.0.
>
> That would be great - thank you very much
>>
>>> Incidentally, I read that the new aubio version, besides a
>>> change of API uses the "waf" build system instead of autotools,
>>> which is apparently causing problems of its own.
>>
>> Please let me know any problem it may cause.
>
> What I read was on the Debian site; my immediate problem was that
> "waf" yielded no hits when I looked for a package to install on my
> (Debian stable) distro. So I guessed I couldn't build the new aubio.
> But this may just be my misunderstanding of what's involved.

for awkward reasons, waf is not packaged in debian anymore. but you
don't need to install it, it is included in the aubio source tarball.
you can just run './waf configure' from the top directory.

also, aubio 0.4.0 is already unstable in debian, so you could use
'apt-get source aubio' and 'sudo apt-get build-deps aubio'

http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/aubio

> Incidentally, I couldn't navigate to the aubio mailing list
> https://lists.aubio.org/ (I got an "Untrusted Website" page, with no
> way forward),

arg. the certificate is self-signed, but you should be able to ask your
browser to proceed anyway.

> hence the message I left on the announcement page.

sorry, where did you leave a message?

> Thanks for the prompt reply - glad to hear about the development.
> It'll be interesting to see how the new code works with that demo of
> the note onset detection https://vimeo.com/82292569)

wow, i'm downloading the video now (low bandwidth), but sounds great!

the performance of the onset detection should change only little. one
important change is that the onset timestamps are not quantized to
hop_size anymore, but given in samples.

Paul