Re: [Denemo-devel] Newbie getting MIDI K/B to work with ALSA and qjackct

From: Bric
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Newbie getting MIDI K/B to work with ALSA and qjackctl
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 05:32:43 -0500

On 2014-01-19 07:07, Edgar Aichinger wrote:
Am Samstag, 18. Januar 2014, 16:50:19 schrieb Edgar Aichinger:

I do build for Fedora, but only since mid of December when I incorporated the changes Jeremiah had made to my spec file about 2 months ago (see thread "Help needed" from December), and that's what Philip is using if I remember right. Anyway I just checked, and it's true, my build excludes portmidi, because for some reason I still have to investigate, -lportmidi

sorry, I meant to write -lporttime, see also http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40878

isn't found wt link time. I'll look into that as soon as possible, perhaps tonight.

But, I also tried to connect my MIDI keyboard to denemo using the ALSA backend, and it worked well, the only irritation was thatALSA backend was already set, but didn't show in qjackctl's ALSA tab until I selected it again, and hit OK in that dialog...

I've tried a bit and looked at configure.ac but don't know autotools
well enough to change that test.

Anyway I don't quite understand why us linux users should fall back to
portmidi when ALSA and JACK MIDI are indeed working perfectly well? I
tried both, and pressing a key sounds the sf2 piano and the note gets
painted in the score...

This is what I have in Edit-Preferences-Audio/MIDI - seemingly no matter what I do:

  Audio Backend
    PortAudio
    JACK
    none

  Output Device
    Lots of ALSA devices

the third panel has:

  MIDI Backend
    ALSA
    JACK
    none

- can you tell me what you see in your setup?

Not sure if this helps at all, but I'm just reporting that midi input over jack works for me on an old Ubuntu 10.10, Denemo 1.0.9, locally built with jack enabled... no problem. In general my jack connections have been without a problem on this system, and appear to be robust in the sense of multiple simultaneous connections which never interfere amongst themselves, but rather the whole thing works like one good mixing board, reliably. Also, when I switched from Fedora to Ubuntu for my main system, I found that things became much easier, on many levels, including availability of packages and doing local builds, and documentation and online support. And I finally stopped tinkering with the jack-audio and started to actually use it and reap its benefits.

I tried to fully understand the essence of this thread, but I may have lost sight of the issue; apologies in advance.

Also, FWIW: my "aconnect -i -o" isn't even listing "denemo" as one of the midi clients. I don't have Philip Rhodes'

    client 130: 'denemo' [type=user]
        0 'midi_in         '
        1 'midi_out        '

even so, my jack/midi -> denemo input works.

(i have a question regarding the midi input feature, but that will be a different thread)