Re: [Denemo-devel] What I learned about using an ossia staff to represen

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] What I learned about using an ossia staff to represent two voices in a single part
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 16:07:11 +0100

On Tue, 2014-09-02 at 08:32 -0400, Ellen Schwindt wrote:
> Hello denemo users and developers,
>

> I'm using denemo 1.1.9 on Windows
>

> I'm in the middle of a project involving a score that needs to have
> two voices shown in two parts--recorder and clarinet.
>

> At Richard's suggestion (thank you Richard) I used an ossia staff.
>

> What I learned might be useful to others
>

> Make sure that all the measures really have the same time signature
> when you insert the ossia staff.

The ossia staff creation command now automatically creates all the time
signature changes in the ossia staff for you. (Thanks! This will be in
the next 1.1.9 build and the next release.)
Also Check Score now detects errors in time signature placement.

>  Of course this would be easiest if you planned ahead and inserted
> that staff from the beginning.
>

> Use spacer rests (Notes/Rest--Rest Insertion--Insert a Spacer) instead
> of fill empty measures if you are working on measures that have a time
> signature change or in measures adjacent to a time signature change.
> Also use spacers in measures adjacent to the ossia measures with
> content.
>

> You also need to use spacer notes instead of fill measures for the
> remaining measures in a line after the measure in which you inserted
> the hide ossia staff command.

Actually, it is nicer than that. You can leave all the measures that
except those between Show Ossia and Hide Ossia blank in the Denemo
display, and they will not show anything. What you cannot have is notes
or rests in the Hide Ossia passages - they print (without a staff) if
you do.
While I was checking this over just now I saw a bug. When you insert the
Show Ossia it doesn't position itself properly - notes collide with it.
I'll fix that next!

> I'm sure it will be easier the next time I do this. I'd be curious
> about other ways of representing two voices as an ossia staff won't
> work for some piano music I have in mind.

Do you mean polyphony as in:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Pavana_&_Galliarda_Dolorosa_%28Philips,_Peter%29

You use staffs->voices for this.

Thank you very much for your contribution, there are several bugs in the
Check Score routine fixed now, the beaming errors are properly detected
and wrong durations measures more reliably displayed.