Re: [Denemo-devel] Barlines, repeats and voltas

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Barlines, repeats and voltas
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 16:05:51 +0100

On Sun, 2015-04-26 at 16:34 +0200, Éloi Rivard wrote:
> Ok thank you for those answers. I will continue my importer then and
> ignores that the midi played is not what I expect.
>
> What do you think of making barlines (and special endings) some denemo
> objects instead of lilypond ones. So when we would play the midi, it
> would just produce the expected sounds without further command ?

We wouldn't want it to do that in general - it would take twice as long
to listen to a piece that has repeats in the usual case which is
listening to check for mistakes. To listen to a performance you can
always get LilyPond to generate a MIDI file and play that with a MIDI
player.

> I saw some old pieces of code in relation.

Yes, I moved away from hard-coding such things as only C programmers
could contribute to it written that way. Instead, by making as much as
possible the input display controlled by Scheme we were able to attract
other users to code things like the dynamics and the tempo changes -
these uses the midbytes field of the Denemo Directives to control the
MIDI output to reflect the changes as well as using the graphic field to
make the display reflect the input.

To get the hard-wired MIDI code to respond to hard-coded repeat
indications would again require working at the C code (which is my
comfort zone too) and then any further tweaks that user's might want (I
think I covered Da Capo and Dal Segno in d-Performance but not third
time bars) would not get done for lack of scriptability.

What would be better is to go in the opposite direction, reducing the
amount of built-in stuff (slurs for example, are divided between those
that are built-in and the phrasing slurs which are scheme). Then when
new features are wanted (cresc. .... poco ... a ... poco for example)
they could be done better than at present (where we cannot display
anything between the start point and end point, which we can do for
built-in things like slurs and hairpin crescendi).

Is d-Performance working in all cases I wonder - I just tested a very
simple example, but I never have occasion to use it myself, so it would
be easy to imagine that with other developments it may have accumulated
bugs.
 Would you like to extend it for 3 or more time bars? It would be
possible to extend it to include arbitrary indications which you can
have in the nth-time bar command - you would write the script to include
some scheme data in the data field of the Denemo Directive that would
tell d-Performance where to go to to play the next section.