[Denemo-devel] Music Snippets

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Music Snippets
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 14:06:52 +0100

I was recently typesetting a score which had a peculiar "ornament" which
resembled the letter "h".
I could generate it once via Directives->Markings->Textual Annotation
but to insert it repeatedly as it occurred in the music I resorted to
making a copy with Ctrl-C and then using Ctrl-V each time.
The downside to this approach is if you should copy something else mean
time. And it only works for one such thing.
So I've upgraded the Music Snippets so that such a thing can be placed
on the Snippets toolbar and made a command for inserting snippets from
the keyboard (in fact, I've extended the command that inserts the
currently selected snippet to invoke the new command if no snippet is
currently selected).

To make this more useful I have arranged that snippets are saved with
the file, so that they don't have to be set up each time you come back
to work on a score.

Although my need for this is modest, I can see how composers may find it
very useful to have a set of snippets that insert rhythmic (or even
melodic) fragments that they are using repeatedly in a composition.

At the moment, snippets aren't deleted when you close a file - this
means you can transfer them to a new score, but does mean that the
snippet bar may become over-crowded if you use them a lot, requiring the
delete snippet button to be used.