[Denemo-devel] [bug #45134] Shift with numeric keypad does not change no

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] [bug #45134] Shift with numeric keypad does not change note duration in Windows
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 08:38:52 +0000

Update of bug #45134 (project denemo):

Follow-up Comment #1:

I see the same pattern on a Windows Vista machine. There is quite a bit of
history to this: at one time this machine appeared to not distinguish between
pressing the regular number key 1 and the numeric keypad 1. After some years
(and many "upgrades" to windows vista) it seemed to be behaving differently.
Checking just now though, I see that the numeric keypad is sensitive to the
num lock and to the caps lock and that shift+numeric keypad gives the cursor
control codes.
I should add that when the keypresses reach Denemo further switching takes
place - all the numeric keypad codes 0,1,2,3,4,5,6 are converted to regular
0,1,2,3,4,5,6 codes while 7, 8, 9 remain as KP_7, KP_8, KP_9. This is done as
otherwise they would be wasted, as it is they are used to create dotted and
triplet rhythms (and KP_8 is still free for future use).
But that is an aside.
As noted in the manual, the "windows" or "Menu" or "Penguin" key, Mod-4 is
also intercepted by Windows O/S to pop up the start menu.
It could be that one of those key-remapping programs would enable a techie
person to change all this, but for Denemo to be Windows-friendly it would be
good to devise a usable set of key shortcuts for entering durations, rests,
non-printing rests ... whatever might provide a comfortable notation entry by
keyboard. A set specially for windows users, that is, which works out of the
box.
I notice that the right and left control keys are rolled into one on the
windows box as well as on my Debian box, but my Debian box is giving me a
fresh modifier with Alt-Gr key, which the windows box rolls into the Alt key.
There are spare combinations - Alt-Shft-... for example, so all is not lost.
I'll be happy to create a shortcut file once someone has come up with a spec.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?45134>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/