Re: [Denemo-devel] Darwin crash

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Darwin crash
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 18:26:37 -0500

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, 2015-10-21 at 15:32 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> Denemo crashes on startup if I have custom key bindings set. Should I
> recompile with debug symbols and run in gdb? Do you have an idea what
> is causing it. It will launch if I delete my ~/.denemo* folder.
>
> Denemo:ERROR:/home/jjbenham/public_html/gub/target/darwin-x86/src/denemo-git.savannah.gnu.org--denemo.git-stable-2.0.0/src/ui/mousing.c:278:assign_cursor: assertion failed: (cursor)
>

> Why is assertion failing in mousing.c line 278?

Presumably there is something (I would guess in
~/.denemo-2.0.0/actions/Default.shortcuts) that is trying to set a
cursor number out of range.
I think it is very bad for programs to call assert() in a way that can
lose the user's data - I didn't realize that these asserts had been
introduced into the code and I'll set about removing them. Of course,
there are circumstances where no sort of recovery is possible, but
clearly this is not one. The assert() is only a help to the developer,
not to the user.

You could send me your Default.shortcuts and/or the value of cursor_num
on entry to the function assign_cursor().

I uncommented this line in mousing.c:
g_print("Storing cursor %d for state 0x%x in hash table %p\n", cursor_num, state, Denemo.map->cursors );
and it printed this:
Storing cursor 116 for state 0x104 in hash table 0x20ae1a0
Storing cursor -1 for state 0x102 in hash table 0x20ae1a0

I am attaching my Default.shortcuts.

Thanks,