Re: [Denemo-devel] Tooltips - what am I doing wrong?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Tooltips - what am I doing wrong?
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 09:53:03 +0000

On Wed, 2015-11-18 at 23:41 +0100, Johan Vromans wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 18:49:52 +0000
> Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I've pushed a fix that turns off tooltips on menus while leaving them on
> > everything else (for GTK version >=3.10).
> > Can you test if this makes a usable interface?
>
> It doesn't, and I fail to see why it should...
> (I backported the fix to 2.0.0 but I do not think that matters.)
>
> Not setting a tooltip on the individual menus

it is the menu *items* that have the tooltip disabled. I was imagining
the problem came when moving the cursor down the menus, that is the
browse mode. Experimenting yesterday I saw that if you don't have a
tooltip on an widget then the enclosing widget's tooltip fires, so I can
imagine there is no escape if tooltip timing is now ordained from above.

I have just looked at gimp 2.8.2 and it has the tooltips popping up
uncontrollably as you move down menus, the only saving grace is that
there aren't quite so many menu items one after the other with tooltips
as Denemo has.

>  makes little sense if there's
> still a tooltip on the menu bar itself.
>
> Moreover, everything else, all buttons, all areas on the window, still have
> tooltips, so there's really no difference with the unfixed version.
>
> I'm afraid disabling all tooltips for Gtk >= 3.10 is the only option.

I've put a fix like that in git now.

> Maybe our Gnome3 friend on the list has a suggestion what mechanism should
> be used instead of tooltips?

Emmanuele was only able to help because I copied the email to the
gtk-app-devel-list, I'll cc this one there too, in case this might be
taken seriously as a bug in Gtk which they might be glad to get feedback
on. The version of gimp that I have does seem to be adversely impacted.