Re: [Denemo-devel] Tooltips - what am I doing wrong?

From: Emmanuele Bassi
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Tooltips - what am I doing wrong?
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 12:01:57 +0000

Hi;

On 19 November 2015 at 09:53, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-11-18 at 23:41 +0100, Johan Vromans wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 18:49:52 +0000
>> Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> > I've pushed a fix that turns off tooltips on menus while leaving them on
>> > everything else (for GTK version >=3.10).
>> > Can you test if this makes a usable interface?
>>
>> It doesn't, and I fail to see why it should...
>> (I backported the fix to 2.0.0 but I do not think that matters.)
>>
>> Not setting a tooltip on the individual menus
>
> it is the menu *items* that have the tooltip disabled. I was imagining
> the problem came when moving the cursor down the menus, that is the
> browse mode. Experimenting yesterday I saw that if you don't have a
> tooltip on an widget then the enclosing widget's tooltip fires, so I can
> imagine there is no escape if tooltip timing is now ordained from above.
>
> I have just looked at gimp 2.8.2 and it has the tooltips popping up
> uncontrollably as you move down menus, the only saving grace is that
> there aren't quite so many menu items one after the other with tooltips
> as Denemo has.

If this is happening on Gimp 2.8.2, it means that the issue has
nothing to do with GTK 3.x, since Gimp 2.8.2 is still very much using
GTK 2.x — unless, obviously, the change predates the branching of GTK
2.x and 3.x, in which case punting to GTK 3.10 won't do you any good.

It may be a case of a backported patch; since it's easier to bisect on
the gtk-2-24 branch, would you be able to do so, and identify the
commit in GTK that introduced this behaviour?

> Emmanuele was only able to help because I copied the email to the
> gtk-app-devel-list, I'll cc this one there too, in case this might be
> taken seriously as a bug in Gtk which they might be glad to get feedback
> on. The version of gimp that I have does seem to be adversely impacted.

Feel free to open a bug on Bugzilla:

  https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=gtk%2B

If you could attach a small, self-contained reproducer it would be
great. Doing a bisection on the Git repository would also be helpful.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
https://www.bassi.io