Re: [Denemo-devel] data loss disaster (imminent)

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] data loss disaster (imminent)
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2016 10:05:33 +0000

On Fri, 2016-01-01 at 14:23 -0500, Bric wrote:
> What happened was: I was editing about 80 bars of on-staff score,
> adding
> chord symbols; denemo crashed, then when i reopened it, i was
> counting
> on auto-save, which is on for me (every 5 seconds, i think).  I opted
> restore from auto-save, and that loaded an empty file.

Auto-save has been auto-saving for years but until 2.0.0 (I think it
was) there was no automatic re-loading. I fixed that and it has been
working (I very frequently abort the program while developing so I get
to see this). I think this failure to load an autosave may be linked to
the subsequent failures to load a previously ok file - did you see if it
would load *any* denemo file, e.g. one of the examples?
Can you make a short test of the autosave - create a file, change it,
deliberately abort Denemo and then re-start... You do want to be sure it
is working before you ever need it. Having said that, on this (stable)
Debian platform I haven't needed the autosave to save me in all these
years, partly why it got such low priority. I just thought it ought to
be working for version 2.0 ...