Re: [Denemo-devel] Instrument templates

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Instrument templates
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 19:19:36 -0600

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, 2016-01-25 at 10:42 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2016 5:57 AM, "Richard Shann" <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> >
> > I've moved the instrument templates to directories below the
> instruments
> > directory which is where the Add Staff for Instrument looks for
> them.
> > I didn't move "Contrabass" because I'm not sure what instrument it
> is
> > supposed to be. In our soundfont it sounds like some sort of
> woodwind
> > instrument, the GM standard doesn't specify what it is (it puts in
> the
> > Orchestral Solo category), but Wikipedia suggests the term is used
> for a
> > Double Bass otherwise any of many other contrabass instruments.
>
> It should have been labeled Double Bass. I will fix that.

Are you planning some Keyboard ones too - piano and organ especially?

> I was working on creating a template for drum kit and you suggested
> making a palette buttons for the different percussion instruments. I
> could not figure out how to create a new palette. Is that documented
> somewhere ?
>
> I ran the portion of the script you pasted on the other email and it
> succeeded in changing the clef and setting the midi channel. I also
> need to learn how to change Staff to DrumStaff and Voice to DrumVoice.
> Then I need to learn to insert \drummode {} around the entered notes.

(d-InitialClef "Bass")
(d-DirectivePut-clef-override "DrumClef" (logior DENEMO_OVERRIDE_GRAPHIC DENEMO_OVERRIDE_LILYPOND))
(d-DirectivePut-clef-postfix "DrumClef" "\\clef percussion\n ")
(d-DirectivePut-clef-graphic "DrumClef" "DrumClef")
(d-StaffProperties "midi_channel=9")
(d-DirectivePut-staff-display "DrumClef" (_ "Drum Clef"))
(d-DirectivePut-staff-override "DrumClef" (logior DENEMO_OVERRIDE_GRAPHIC DENEMO_OVERRIDE_LILYPOND))
(d-DirectivePut-staff-prefix "DrumClef" "\\new DrumStaff \\with { middleCPosition = #6 }")

(d-DirectivePut-voice-override "DrumClef" (logior DENEMO_OVERRIDE_GRAPHIC DENEMO_OVERRIDE_LILYPOND))
(d-DirectivePut-voice-prefix "DrumClef" "\\new DrumVoice << ")

Then (although there may be something neater) if you do
Directives->InsertLilyPond and insert

\drummode {

before the music (and } after, although Denemo kindly supplies the
missing } if you fail to put it in) then you can have stuff like

 hihat4 hh bassdrum bd

in between, see attached. This is copied from:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-percussion

I guess you will want things like hh8 for a 1/8th note hi-hat to be a
genuine 1/8th note with its LilyPond syntax replaced with hh instead of
the note name, and its graphic replaced with something so the user knows
they've entered a 1/8th note hi-hat. All perfectly do-able, the Breve
and Longa are done by replacing the graphic of a note (they additionally
replace the duration), and in your case I'm not sure what you want to do
with the pitch ...

Thanks for the script. I hear the playback with the denemo generated midi playback. I see the notes in playback view but it is not rendering any sound unfortunately.