Re: [Denemo-devel] A non-typesetting score

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] A non-typesetting score
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 09:20:33 +0000

On Sat, 2016-03-19 at 21:26 -0400, Ellen Schwindt wrote:
> Hello denemo friends,
>    I am using denemo 2.0.3 on Windows 10. I have spent a long time
> trying to figure out why this score won't typeset. I think I have it
> narrowed down to these measures. Can anybody figure it out?

yes, I can see what is going on. When trying to typeset with 2.0.4 the
cursor stopped on the dotted halfnote rest with fermata. This was
accompanied by a message in the LilyPond window about \rest being
unexpected.

Looking at this with the Object Inspector I can see that you have
"Displace rest vertically" and, indeed, trying out this combination in a
clean new score it will not typeset. (I'll file a bug report for that).
Obvious question, why try to displace the rest? Answer is that the staff
has a voice direction set for it (click on the tools icon at the start
of the staff to see it), removing this returns the rest to the correct
position.
But I would guess that before you cut the score down you had another
voice, with the opposite direction set, so you *do* want a voice
direction set on this. The solution here will be to revert to automatic
voice direction for this rest. Alt-v,a is the short cut for that (see
Directives->Typesetter->Voices, place this before the rest and place one
returning to Voice 1 or whichever voice you had set after the rest. This
will mean that the rest is not displaced to allow space for the other
voice.

You mentioned having trouble with whole measure rests - I just replaced
the dotted half note rest with whole measure rest and applied the
fermata (Shift-A, f) and put the auto voice on it - attached is the
result.

Also, you will notice LilyPond complaining about the cues - that's
harmless, caused by you cutting down the score, so that the cues have
left behind stuff which is no longer relevant (there is a bug report
about this).

More dramatically, your small file crashes my development version on