Re: [Denemo-devel] No audio or print on Denemo, can you please help?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] No audio or print on Denemo, can you please help?
Date: Fri, 06 May 2016 19:14:10 +0100

On Fri, 2016-05-06 at 17:57 +0100, Bernard Bourdillon wrote:
> Dear Denemo-devel
> A friend of mine had a webchat with you earlier (DenemoGuest8) and you
> kindly offered to look at my enquiry.
> Apologies: I'm not linux literate.
> I've installed Denemo 2.0.6. (to replace 1.0.1) on my 64-bit pc running
> Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
> As explained by DenemoGuest8 (and under his guidance) I downloaded the
> recommended binary distro and installed the i386 emulation layer for
> Ubuntu and the program runs. However I cannot get any playback audio (it
> records

records? Do you mean records from a MIDI keyboard?

>  satisfactorily) and I cannot get it to see my printer.

Can you see your printer from other software? Does the Print Dialog come
up at all? (If so, can you Print to File?)

>  I can
> print from the print preview via saving a pdf

Does the button PDF in the Print View work?

>  so the playback audio is
> the most important thing.
>
> In relation to the audio I have tried various combinations of setting in
> Audio and Midi preferences,

Can you hear audio from other programs? I have twice had the audio mute
itself on my (Debian) installation, and had to fight the system to get
it back on.
Also, some programs "hog" the audio - no other program can make sounds
while they are running. Denemo does this, and so if you have
inadvertently started two Denemo sessions then one will not sound.
Re-boot your computer to be quite sure there is no zombie around.

For the audio output, only the Audio tab is relevant. You can cause
problems if you set Sample Rate (44100) or Period Size (256) to certain
values - indeed I know of no system where they should be altered.

 It would be worth while starting afresh, as audio invariably works
straight out of the box on GNU/Linux. To start afresh delete the
directory ~/.denemo-2.0.6
Then re-launch Denemo and say you don't want to import your old
preferences when it asks you.

>  but I don't know what I'm doing.
>
> Both playback and printing worked satisfactorily under Denemo 1.0.1.

It would be worthwhile to email the preferences file that you have for
1.0.1. This file is in

~/.denemo-1.0.1

and is called denemorc

That will give a clue as to the settings you had that worked.

HTH