Re: [Denemo-devel] No audio or print on Denemo, can you please help?,

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] No audio or print on Denemo, can you please help?,
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 09:48:12 +0100

On Tue, 2016-05-10 at 09:30 +0100, Bernard Bourdillon wrote:
> Sorry for not posting to the list about this previously, I'm new to
> all this. I still don't understand how to direct my contribution to a
> particular thread

I think "thread" is just a convention, based on the Subject: of the
email, I'm not sure how it copes with the various Re: Sv: and so on,
perhaps there is a list of common ones, but sometimes the threading gets
messed up so you may have to hunt around. Just use "Reply to All" and
leave the Subject: intact, unless you're going off-topic.

>  so this email could turn up anywhere.
>
> Very many thanks for helping me with this problem of installing the
> later version of Denemo.
>
> Do the following steps for me to take sound reasonable?
> 1) install the latest version of Ubuntu and work through the problems
> that this might pose for other progammes and hardware. Am I right that
> this would overcome the libglib problem?

almost certainly

>  I hope that will be done by Monday 23rd May.
>
> 2) I guess it is then worth trying to start again by installing the
> i386 emulation downloading the recommended binary distro as follows:
>
> input commands:
> sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install libc6:i386 libncurses5:i386 libstdc++6:i386
>
> Download the binary package from...
> http://denemo.org/downloads/denemo-2.0.6-0.linux-x86.tar.xz
>
> Right click and Unzip/Extract it to a local folder. Open that folder
> and double click Launch_Denemo.sh.

I think I would go straight for 3) below, as Jeremiah says the i386 is
lacking cups and pulseaudio support.

> 3) If that doesn't work, re-try installing Andreas' debian version
> using the commands
> cd [folder containing the 9 packages downloaded from
> http://www.denemo.org/~aschneider/]
> sudo dpkg -i *denemo*2.0.6*_amd64.deb *denemo*2.0.6*_all.deb
>
> Am I right that this should overcome the other problems?
>
> Andreas: at one point you refer to 4 packages. Should I only be copying over
> the packages with 2.0.6 in the title?
>
> Richard: the Denemo download site [http://www.denemo.org/downloads-page/] has
> this last command as
> sudo dpkg -i *denemo*2.0.6*_amd64.deb
> I guess this should be amended with the addition of *denemo*2.0.6*_all.deb ?

yes, I spotted that this morning while I was fixing the instructions for
the mysterious "run" command :)