Re: [Denemo-devel] Ukulele fret diagrams

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Ukulele fret diagrams
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 14:29:58 +0100

On Sat, 2016-06-18 at 09:51 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-06-13 at 16:09 +0100, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
> > Hi Richard,
> > I am having a problem with Uke fret diagrams.
> > The log file shows that there is no "string" for the 4th string.
>
> I've cut down your file to this:
>
> version "2.18.0"
> \include "predefined-ukulele-fretboards.ly"
> \score
> {
>   \new FretBoards
>      {
>       \set Staff.stringTunings = #ukulele-tuning
>       <g c' e' c''>
>      }
> }
>
> which just tries to typeset the first chord you have and gives the
> error
> message.

I've just peeked inside predefined-ukulele-fretboards.ly and I see I can
define the C chord given on
https://ukuchords.com/files/ukuchords_complete_ukulele_chords_chart_180.png
by overriding the definition in that file with one that matches your
chord  <g c' e' c''>

\version "2.18.0"
\include "predefined-ukulele-fretboards.ly"
\storePredefinedDiagram #default-fret-table  <g c' e' c''>
                        #ukulele-tuning
                        #"o;o;o;3-3;"
\score
{
  \new FretBoards
     {
      \set Staff.stringTunings = #ukulele-tuning
      <g c' e' c''>
     }
}

So it looks as if you can define the chords you want to create the
fret-diagrams you want (you just add more of those
\storePredefinedDiagram commands with the chord < ...> you want to type
and the diagram "o;o;o;3-3;" you want to show for it. (It looks like o;
is the open string 3; the third string and I guess 3-3; third string
with a fingering indication for third finger).

If you come up with a set of chords you want it will be easy to add
these an include file "joes-ukulele-chord.ly" and then a set of
buttons/key-presses to insert the chords. You don't have to have a
strict relation between the chords you write <g c' e' c''> and the
fret-diagram - you could just use <c'> for this one if you liked, but on
playback it would just sound the c'' note. Furthermore if you wanted the
chord name generated from the same chord you might want to choose the
notes accordingly.

HTH