Re: [Denemo-devel] cross staff slurs

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] cross staff slurs
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 09:32:04 +0100

On Wed, 2016-10-12 at 21:59 -0700, Donald J. Stewart wrote:
> In my denemo version, I don't have ->Change Staff:

Did you try typing Change Staff into the search box of View->Command
Center? You need to use the "->" button several times to arrive at it,
as quite a few commands have those two words in their description...

Command: Change Staff
(Print) the current voice moves to the staff you name.
Location: ObjectMenu->StaffMenu
Internal Name: ChangeStaff

looking at the history
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=denemo.git;a=history;f=actions/menus/ObjectMenu/StaffMenu/ChangeStaff.scm;h=d92468d8f6a018513ce0682a84bed4806fffcc58;hb=HEAD
of this command it goes back more than three years (the history before
that is obscured by a structural change, but it is quite ancient I
think).

> I have something similar:
>
> Staffs/Voices->Move to Staff Up
> Staffs/Voices->Move to Staff Down

Command: Move to Staff Up
Moves the cursor to the staff above without altering selection. On the
top staff it adds space above the staffs.
Location: MainMenu->NavigationMenu->Cursor
Internal Name: MoveToStaffUp

When it says "the cursor" it is referring to the Denemo Cursor in the
Denemo Display. Which is why it is in the Navigation menu. The help tool
tip for the Change Staff is rather inadequate (again a sign of how old
the command is), but it is correct - the "voice" moves to the staff you
name - it asks you for a staff name.

Having said that, trying it out, I see that the harp template had no
sub-part name to differentiate the upper and lower staffs. You will have
to add them yourself by clicking on the part name (Harp, colored green
at the start of the staff) and giving a distinct sub part name to the
two staffs. Only then can you say which of the two you want your voice
to cross to.

I've fixed the template now so that the upper has part name lh and the
lower rh (I guess those are sensible names - if there is something more
usual in harp circles let me know). Available in builds from tomorrow.

Richard