Re: [Denemo-devel] trouble creating parts

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] trouble creating parts
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 20:08:08 +0000

On Tue, 2016-11-15 at 10:28 -0800, Donald J. Stewart wrote:
> First of all, I may be 'drawing parts' incorrectly. I see that in the editor
> itself (not Denemo Print View), there is
>
> Staffs/Voices->Voices->Create Parts

The help for this command is:

Create three parts from the current staff.

That's hopelessly cryptic. What it means is if you have chords of three
notes in a staff it will split them up into three parts (each part, as
usual in the Denemo Display/Edit Window is on a separate staff).
You don't want this.

> or
>
> Staffs/Voices->Voices->Create Parts (Treble First)
Help for this is:
Creates a set of parts extracting the highest part first.

Likewise - this just extracts the parts in the opposite order.

> OR in Denemo Print View, there is a 'Part' button.

This typesets the part that the cursor is on in the Denemo Display/Edit
Window. A part may be more than one staff (look for the partname at top
left of the staff).

> In Denemo Print View, when I click the Part button (and my cursor in the
> Denemo editor is on the corresponding staff), Denemo Print View
> displays
well, it *typesets* it, it creates the LilyPond syntax for the part and
then runs the LilyPond typesetter on it and displays the result.

>  the part.

> It is at this point that I don't know how to 'edit' the newly created part in
> the Denemo editor.

To create a part you use Staffs/Voices->Add Staff, or if you want the
part to be on the same staff as one already present (i.e. a voice) you
use Staffs/Voices->Voices->Add Voice
then you populate it with music, and it will be typeset when you click
on one of the typesetting buttons in the Print View (or when you use
File->Print menu commands).

I think the problem may be terminology - separate rhythmic music on one
staff is called VOICEs in Denemo, a PART is all the staffs with the same
part name (e.g. Piano/lh Piano/rh) - usually just one staff, or one
staff with several voices on it.

HTH

Richard