Re: [Denemo-devel] Melisma Start / End directives

From: Andreas Schneider
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Melisma Start / End directives
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 19:10:47 +0100

Am 18.01.2017 um 11:09 schrieb Richard Shann:
> On Tue, 2017-01-17 at 21:57 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, perhaps in the Lyrics menu?
>>
>> Hmm, intuitively I would expect a command under Lyrics to affect the
>> text in the lyrics pane, while placing it under Notes/Rests suggests to
>> me that it applies to the note the cursor is on. But maybe I'm not
>> representative -- you surely have more experience what users expect.
>
> Well, my expectations are highly colored, not only by my long exposure
> to Denemo but also my own personality, so other's take on how things
> should be arranged is always welcome. What we are up against here is
> quite an intractable problem: grouping things by object
> (score,movement,staff,measure,chord,note) has several problems. Things
> like lyrics don't fit into the hierarchy easily. And some commands span
> objects (e.g. delete), while others (e.g. beaming) appear under notes
> and time signatures. Some commands (e.g. ReBar) have been written so
> they work either on a staff or from the cursor or on the whole movement.
>
> In the case of the lyrics menu there are commands to create a verse
> (which could be in the staff menu) and to locate the syllable for the
> cursor position (which could be in the Navigation menu). So the lyrics
> menu is already more like a palette - a collection of related commands.
>
> But to get back to the \melismaStart and End I see from the docs you
> pointed to that there is a whole heap more controls over
> syllabification, none of which we can easily handle in the Display. So
> these are really only good for LilyPond aware users, who can just insert
> the syntax they want. Offering the command with the display showing the
> wrong syllables may do more harm than good (I take it there is no case
> where it is essential to use that syntax?). We could always add it with
> a health warning, of course...

Well, I think you *can* do everything by using underscores in the
lyrics, but it is not quick to look over a whole bunch of underscores
(say, 20). Thus, it may be much more convenient to use the \melisma and
\melismaEnd directives, especially for ancient music.

How do you adapt the Denemo display for slurs? Can you use the same
mechanism for the melisma directives?
A similar problem is present for manual beaming (provided automatic
beaming is switched off via the BeamingOff directive), since lilypond
interprets that as melisma, causing the Denemo display and the print
preview to disagree.

A question to the implementation: In your version of the melisma script
for the Gregorian palette, you use (d-DirectivePut-chord-override tag
16). I have looked up in denemo_types.h that 16 is
DENEMO_OVERRIDE_AFFIX. I tried to mimic that with ToggleDirective
(looking at your mail from 11th Jan.):

;;;ToggleMelisma
(let ((tag "ToggleMelisma"))
(ToggleDirective "chord" "postfix" (cons tag  "(mel") "\\melisma " #f #f
DENEMO_OVERRIDE_AFFIX)

However, that does not work. I do not understand the definition in
actions/denemo-modules/directives.scm. What do I do wrong?

Andreas