Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo-Lyrics: The story so far

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo-Lyrics: The story so far
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 16:41:40 +0000

On Wed, 2017-02-01 at 18:04 +0000, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
> I hope this is useful.

Thanks - you've uncovered another bug! (see below, now fixed)

> Lyrics Documentation RShann/ASchneider ed JKWilkinson
> Introduction
>
> To add lyrics to a staff move the cursor onto the staff and choose
> Lyrics >> Add Lyric Verse. This normally turns on the Lyrics View and

I've got rid of the concept of Lyrics on/off as proposed a couple of
days ago.

>  creates a Lyrics pane below the music.
>
> Each verse has a separate tab, with the current verse for the current
> staff being visible at any one time. Verses cannot be re-ordered at
> present – but you can cut and paste between verses if verses must be
> inserted later.
>
> Lyrics are attached to a staff. This means that
>
>       * you will see the lyrics for the current staff disappear from
>         the Display Window when you switch staffs, which can be
>         disconcerting, but saves space in the display
>
>       * lyrics are deleted if the staff is deleted.
>
>       * you cannot attach a verse to a Voice, only to its parent staff

this was a bug, now fixed. See Open->Open Example->Lyrics above and
below staff for an example of four parts on two staffs. This example was
broken too, with the introduction of mirrorred lyrics.

> The Lyric pane shows only a few lines initially, but you can drag it
> upwards if you need to see more.

What I've been finding is that it often won't drag upwards until the red
bar has been dragged - this is a GTK bug, I see something similar with
the division between Score and Movement editor panes.

>  Lyrics are entered as a syllables separated by spaces or new lines
> (which have no other meaning but allow you to preserve the lines of a
> stanza).

??? arrange the stanza on lines for readability.

> You can switch to the lyrics pane with Ctrl-l, Ctrl-l, and you can
> switch back from editing the lyrics to editing the music with the
> Ctrl-l (or Esc or Tab keys). You can change verses with
> Ctrl-PgUpl/PgDn keys and change staffs with Ctrl-up/down, and save
> with Ctrl-s.
>

> Editing text
>
> Lyrics in Denemo are handled as verses of text that can be freely
> edited in text editors that appear in the tabs of a notebook that
> appears when you execute Add Lyric Verse (Ctrl-l a). The syllables are
> not attached to the notes, so you can edit the notes freely without
> affecting the lyrics. While simply typing or copy&pasting the text in
> will be enough for simple pieces, special syntax is available for more
> complex tasks (see below)
>

> Visibility
>
> Note that the lyrics for a staff are only shown when the cursor is in
> the staff concerned - this saves space in the display, but can be
> disconcerting when they vanish from the display as you move to another
> staff! It is also possible to toggle the Lyrics panes on and off if
> needed, using View Lyrics.
>

> The Lyrics Menu items
>
> Denemo uses LilyPond syntax which may be typed direct if known; some
> complex expressions

simple syntax

>  can be input using Lyrics Menu items.
>
> Melismata button inserts either

>         aligned with adjacent notes) or
>
>       * <space><Underscore><Underscore><space> (extending the word
>         across 2 notes)
>
>         (Either of these can be typed in directly, of course.)
>
>       * For (chant) music requiring multiple words on one tone the
>         “words are just enclosed in quotes”
>
>       * Extending one word across several notes
>

>          usually means that the music has a slur and the process
>         happens automatically.

is indicated by a slur over the notes concerned

>          Alternatively
>         with choral music where beaming
>          across eighth notes is turned off,

Alternatively if automatic beaming is turned off

>         the notes may be manually beamed (see Notes menu).

In this case the Denemo Display cannot show the correct underlay of
syllables to notes as Denemo does not understand manual beaming. The
Print View will however be correct.

> The full possible syntax is given in the LilyPond documentation, but
> Denemo provides you with menu items for inserting the most useful
> extras such as stanza numbers, font selection and skips.
>

> Insert Highlighted Lyric puts the necessary syntax
>
> e.g. {\bold \italic very}

e.g.
\bold \italic
"very"

> around a word

or words

>  to embolden and/or italicise it (here the word “very”).
>

> InsertStanza Number puts your choice of number at the cursor,
> highlighted if necessary. Normally the cursor should be at the verse
> start!
>

> Syllable Alignment allows the text to be aligned with its start or end
> below the note (rather than the default Centre). This may be useful
> for chanted text.
>

> Skip Syllables in Selection is useful if you have a musical
> introduction or interlude in a song. It is probably a preferable
> alternativeto a series of pairs of double-quotes, one for each skipped
> note. Once the text

syntax

>  is in the verse, it may be easily edited, if yoyu have miscounted.

well, the whole point is you don't have to count! I think what you have
in mind is if you add some more notes you can just edit the number in
the syntax, instead of deleting, selecting and re-issuing the command.

> Insert Mirrored Verse permits a mirrored copy of a verse from another
> stave to be included, for example when the words for two parts are the
> same but on separate staffs. Then if the words need editing, just the
> first copy needs to be changed.
>

> Typeset Verses at End allows multiple verse tunes to be laid out
>
> with just some under the music.

in columns at the end of the movement.

>  You are given a choice as to at which verse to start.
>
> Once you have carried out the process the words are copied to the Page
> End text. They also appear in the normal place. On repeating the
> command you get a choice of replacing the previously copied text or
> adding to it. Assuming you have finished editing the verses theLyric
> panes containing them may be safely deleted.
>
> You can also edit the Page End text from this button; Denemo is a bit
> generous with vertical spacing – you may like to reduce it.
>

> Dynamic allows you to put ff, f, p, or pp directly in the music

into the lyric?

>  (as a performance hint)
>

> Change Font allows you to change the font used for a particular (part
> of a?)

all or some of a verse

>  verse from the default to any that are available. You do need to know
> the name of the font you wish to use. If you want all your verses in
> the same font it may be preferable to change Preferences.

I don't think that's in Preferences. Perhaps

Command: Set Fonts
Select the default fonts used for titles, chord names etc. for the whole
score.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Score ▶ Typesetter ▶ Print Layout
Internal Name: SetFonts

> Larger/Smaller Font Size allows you to highlight verses or parts of
> them with larger/smaller text.
>

> Typeset On/Off
>  should allow

allows

> the music to be typeset with or without the text, when required.

The Lyric Tie is not covered, and I don't know if the Melismata stuff
makes sense...