Re: [Denemo-devel] tick on Scheme Script on View Menu / The editing proc

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] tick on Scheme Script on View Menu / The editing process
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2017 17:29:51 +0000

On Wed, 2017-02-08 at 17:27 +0000, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi Richard,
> I'm not sure if you prefer such as these to go to the bug-tracker or
> just to the mailing list.

Well, the first is a bug :)

> 1
> When Denemo is started, View shows Scheme Script unticked
> If it is selected A Scheme Script window opens, and View shows Scheme
> Script ticked
> If the Scheme Script of, say, a button is input into the Scheme Script
> window the text appears in the Scheme Script Window.
>
> Closing the Window with X seems to update the Script associated with
> the button.

Absolutely not!

> At the same time the View menu shows the Scheme Script window still
> ticked.

Confirmed - this is the bug, from now on the tick box will be out of
sync.

> Opening the Scheme Script from the View menu again opens the Scheme
> Script window BUT unticks the Scheme Script item in the View menu.
> Repeating the last action reverses both situations.
> So the menus says it is open when the window is closed and vice-versa.
>
> 2
> As a newbie I would have assumed that Opening the Scheme Script window
> would give me a blank window.

It will, unless you have loaded a score that has a script associated
with it.  (Such a script runs on opening the score - see the section on
scores that do things in the manual).

> I could then type/copy-paste stuff in and save it as a button.
> Or I could Record commands into the Editor., and then save them.

yes

> If I right-click on a button and activate
> Get Script into Scheme Window I would expect the window to only
> contain the Script I had asked for, not all the previous script.

No, it doesn't delete anything from the Scheme window, it "Get"s it
appending to anything already there. Use Ctrl-a Ctrl-x first if
replacing is what you want.

> Append Script to Scheme Window could add it to the existing.

perhaps the label should be changed from "Get ..." to "Append ..."?

> >> Just seen "Save Script from Scheme Window"; I think it would be
> better as Update button from Scheme Window.

Unfortunately that would imply that someone kept track of where the
stuff in the Scheme window came from - it could be from multiple
sources, including typing it in.

> If the Script is edited there is no Save current script option.

for the same reason

> Closing the Scheme Script Window seems to work, but there is no
> warning about over-writing good code with bad.

because it doesn't overwrite anything, it doesn't know where anything in
there came from.

>  Sure I could create a new button for testing purposes but.......

for testing purposes you just have to click "Execute"

HTH