Re: [Denemo-devel] Allow Line/Page Break in Middle of measure

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Allow Line/Page Break in Middle of measure
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 11:13:16 +0000

On Thu, 2017-02-09 at 11:11 +0000, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
> For completeness...............
> The order of the objects of bar 2 is indeed
> > 1/4 note, 1/4 note, LineBreak directive, AllowLineBreak directive, 1/4
> > note, 1/4 note.
> >
> > The reason for that order is that the first line of your script inserts
> > the AllowLineBreak directive while the cursor is on the third 1/4 note
> > of the bar, and so it is inserted before the third 1/4 note, then the
> > second line inserts the LineBreak directive while the cursor is on the
> > AllowLineBreak directive and so this is inserted before the
> > AllowLineBreak directive. (Insert is *always* before the object that the
> > cursor is on, unless the cursor is in the appending position).
> >
> > As far as LilyPond is concerned the order is immaterial, because both
> > occur at the same "moment", that is, the same time in the music. The
> > upshot is that LilyPond typesets a line break after the second and
> > before the third 1/4 note because it has an invisible barline there and
> > a request to break the line on that invisible barline.
> >
> I have created two buttons, one with
> (d-AllowLineBreak 'non-interactive)
> (d-LineBreak 'non-interactive)
>
> and the other with
> (d-LineBreak 'non-interactive)
> (d-AllowLineBreak 'non-interactive)
>
> The second puts up an extra screen warning me that the LineBreak won't
> work away from a barline.

yes, the warning comes when you try to insert a LineBreak without being
on a barline, or anything that might be a barline.
None will appear tomorrow, regardless of order.

> Both put the directives in the same order in the music, with LineBreak
> first.

ah, yes, LineBreak has a move cursor right command in it, so it will
always come first. Tomorrow it won't (if you pass a parameter).