Re: [Denemo-devel] Upgrade is missing preferences

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Upgrade is missing preferences
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2017 15:13:23 +0100

On Fri, 2017-09-08 at 09:57 +0200, Johan Vromans wrote:
> When upgrading to a new version of denemo, it offers to re-use the
> preferences (and more) of the previous version. I selected to re-use the
> old settings, but notice several differences.
>
> See attachment.
>
> It almost looks as if everything was reset to default anyway.

I'm fairly sure this is working ok, but there are a couple of pitfalls
when trying to test it out. One is that Denemo doesn't check for
trailing characters in the .denemo-x.y.z name, so
that .denemo-x.y.z.HIDDEN will not in fact be "hidden" from Denemo.
(I notice that your diff command was comparing files of that form

% diff .denemo-2.1.3-280c7c0/denemorc .denemo-2.2.1-8561e23/denemorc

but I don't see how that could have been your problem).

The other is an old Unix gotcha, if you try to copy .denemo-2.1.3 to
make .denemo-2.2.1 using cp -r but you are unaware that Denemo has
already created .denemo-2.2.1 then what happens is that a copy
of .denemo-2.1.3 is (silently) placed inside the
pre-existing .denemo-2.2.1 and the copy appears to have been
ineffective.

Could you check again? Delete the .denemo-2.2.1 directory and check it
is not present, remove all the old .denemo-x.y.z directories except the
one you intend to upgrade from (again, just as a precaution - it should
only pick up the "latest" one provided it is an earlier version number),
and re-start Denemo. The .denemorc should be read from the old directory
and written to the new.

(Windows users who forget to reboot run into the problem that Denemo
crashes on startup and leaves a default .denemo-x.y.z which then
prevents them getting their previous settings, but that's not relevant
to you - unless you Ctrl-C'd the program while starting it).

Let me know if you are convinced it really doesn't work - I've checked
it several times before ...