Re: [Denemo-devel] ? d- Bravura/SMuFL

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] ? d- Bravura/SMuFL
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 10:28:36 +0100

On Sun, 2018-04-15 at 15:28 -0400, Freeman Gilmore wrote:
> Thanks  I am just trying to understand some of how Denemo works as
> I go,
> I understand that I do not need to know this to write new glyphs in
> Denemo/Lilypond.
> I will stop asking how Denemo does thing.
>
> So that you know that I know:
>
> 1) It clear that with Denemo i can write the d-'s to send the
> needed syntax to Lilypond, with your help by given you the glyph.
>
> 2) It is cleat that Lilypond has  the accidentals that I would ever
> need to do the command accidentals glyphs used by the microtonal
> people.   They are all in the SMuFL and Lilypond has the Bravura font
> which is used by SMuFL by default so they are there.

You need to check not merely that LilyPond is able to access a
particular font for some purposes, but that it can use the glyphs in
the font for the specific purpose you want, namely to take the place of
"normal" accidentals.
The distinction you need to watch for is that LilyPond has a markup
language which can be used to place all sorts of text, drawings and
glyphs from its own emmentaler and feta fonts on the score. This does
not mean that it can access any font and any glyph in the font to be
typeset as an accidental - makam.ly is using some glyphs in that manner
and you will want to be sure that you can extend the range of glyphs
used in that code (or some other lilypond code) to do that.

So what you need to do, before committing a lot of effort is to take
the simplest example of the sort of thing you want, something like a
note with a special accidental, e.g.

\include "makam.ly"
{ ck''}

if you use the Turkish example as a starting point.

Run Lilypond on that syntax and check you get the output you expect.

Then set about seeing if you can substitute other glyphs from other
fonts (using something other than "k" for the indication of the
accidental) by altering makam.ly
this is where you will probably need the lilypond-user list expertise.

Once you have LilyPond code that can do what you want then it will be a
case of creating scripts for Denemo to emit it, which I can help with.