Re: [Denemo-devel] Help! Keyboard problems

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Help! Keyboard problems
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2018 14:40:55 +0000

On Fri, 2018-12-07 at 11:40 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Fri, 2018-12-07 at 11:31 +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> > New run with denemo-2.2.10 not re-using commands, shortcuts ,etc...
> > Clearly the US keyboard is not correctly interpreted while it works
> > very well when entering text in an editor. Examples:
> >
> > key: 1 message: ampersand is not a shortcut
> >      2          eacute is not a shorcut
> >      A          q is not a shortcut
> >      Q          a change /append A !!!
> >

> This is connected with the locale which Denemo sets via a call
>
> setlocale (LC_ALL, "")
>
> I think there is an environment variable that can influence this.
> I'll
> try some experimentation.
> Thank you for your diagnostics!
> (Incidentally, I came across something similar when running the
> Playback View, if you use that view you may find it has an influence)

What I was remembering with the Playback View may not be related: I
made this change
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=denemo.git;a=commitdiff;h=e8f0449
398a2c793589db82b26847abd1141ff42

which avoided a problem with the display of glyphs from the emmentaler
font after the playback view was used. (In turn, why the Playback View
needs to setlocale(LC_ALL, "C") I not sure but I think it is for
parsing an SVG file, probably avoiding a different representation of
the decimal point in some locales).

So, I don't think this is related to your problem - sorry about the
noise!

I've been digging around, and I can't see any sign that environment
variables have a role in the keyboard assignments. One thing to check
would be what happens when you type into a text-editor inside Denemo -
for example if you run the command Score->Comment you get an editor for
writing a comment on the score. Does this receive and display the
correct key strokes?