Re: [Denemo-devel] Help! Keyboard problems

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Help! Keyboard problems
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 16:42:36 +0000

On Mon, 2018-12-10 at 16:37 +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> Great! It works now very well. However, surprisingly, some standard
> shortcuts, which appear in the command center, are not recognized, as
> for instance:
> Alt 0 6 (but 0 6 is OK)

I can't reproduce this. In the Default.shortcuts that you sent me you
have:

      <row>
        <action>InsertWholeRest</action>
        <bind>Alt+0</bind>
      </row>

and the same thing appears in the Default.shortcuts that is shipping
with Denemo.

If I hold Alt and press the 0 key it fires off that command. It does
this with either the 0 key on the top row or the one on the numeric
keypad. If I set the keyboard to French layout then for the 0 on the
top row it pops up the notification:

Key Press Alt+Agrave is not a shortcut

What happens when you hold Alt and press the 0 key on the top row (do
it twice in succession to force the popup if need be).

I should say, I'm using the Alt on the right of the space bar. The
other one with the French layout is popping up the message

Key Press Mod5+at is not a shortcut

> shift /
> shift +/ (but +/ is OK)

I'm not sure what key presses you are referring to here, but I expect
if we sort out the number ones all will become clear...

Oh, your email "erratum" has just arrived, so mostly that is not
relevant. But what do you mean by
shift /

When I hold the (left) shift key and press the next-key-but-one to the
right of it (a / on French keyboard) it gives me

Key Press Shft+Slash invokes the command Cautionary Accidental

Ah, I just tried this on the English-GB keyboard layout and indeed
there is a difference from before. It used to be the Shft+Slash
shortcut but it is now Shft+question
So there is a change beyond the ones I outlined in the previous email.
I'll see if I can understand why this is happening, and most likely
just change the standard shortcuts distributed with Denemo (these
shortcuts started life as mimicking what you type in LilyPond, and
Shft+question is actually a more memorable name for the "?" character
which appears above the slash).

> > > Would it be useful if Denemo detected the keymap in use and
> > > selected
> > > the shortcuts to suit?
>
> Very usefull of course for french users...

Well, I have wondered about this - a lot of the keyboard handling code
was written by a Frenchman some years ago but he never mentioned it.
Would a Francophone prefer to use d,r,m,f,s,l.. for the note names?
There is a problem, of course, with the note B which would naturally be
s again, would the other convention of calling that note "ti" be
comprehensible?
I looked into finding out what keymap was in use from within the
program and did not come up with a way of doing that - I get the locale
that is being used and then guess which key shortcuts file to load, or
at worst offer a menu of key-shortcut files to load.