Re: [Denemo-devel] A possible scheme script

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] A possible scheme script
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2019 16:05:36 +0000

On Thu, 2019-01-31 at 19:05 -0800, rain wrote:
> Attached a pdf showing a simple idea (Not necessarily in writing
> mode, there is a bit to think about and a number of things I still
> have to figure out). Notice the first three notes have a labeled
> interval distance, which would be a great functionality for people
> wanting to learn and have that visual aid of interval distance to get
> worked into memory, since the counterpoint formulas become simpler
> with repetition. Numbering does not appear to be a requirement for
> the first iteration, since it may be cumbersome to add and get
> working right.

Thank you for the PDF giving an idea of the final output you would
like.
Now comes the question of *process* for creating this.

>From what you wrote before, the process by which you would like to
create this is to start with a blank score with the two staffs, with
the cursor in the lower (Cantus) staff. You then decide on a note and
insert it. You may to want to choose a different duration for this
Cantus note.
Then you decide on an interval e.g. Major 3rd and (without thinking
about what note that would be) you tell Denemo to add a major third in
the upper staff. At this stage you may want to decide on a duration
different and smaller than the default (which would be the duration of
the Cantus note), and you indicate that. Then you may want to add a
further note above that same original Cantus note, or you may wish to
go on to append a further note to the Cantus staff.

The point of this process would be to learn to think in terms of
intervals above the Cantus, rather than thinking in terms of which note
is needed.

If this is correct, then it seems like something for which a very
intuitive and efficient interface can be created in Denemo and I would
be happy to help create it. One thing that would be useful for this
sort of thing is something I very recently created for the Swap
Passages command - when swapping passages it is necessary to switch to
the staff below going to the same musical moment in time - as you
observe the CursorDown command places the cursor at the start of the
bar.
So I think there is already all the components needed to make this
work. Firstly I would like to be sure that this is what you have in
mind and I think it would also be useful to create a list of all the
intervals that you may wish to use, starting from Perfect Unisson
upwards. There would have to be some limit as the theoretical
possibilities are infinite and do not have conventional notation (I
doubt you want a Diminished Second - C# - Db for example), but knowing
what needs to be accommodated would help design the interface.

HTH