Re: [Denemo-devel] Could not open output file for writing

From: Freeman Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Could not open output file for writing
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 21:59:58 -0400

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 8:52 AM Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, 2019-08-23 at 08:46 -0400, Freeman Gilmore wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 4:11 AM Richard Shann <address@hidden
> m> wrote:
> > just
> > (unzip)
> > >

> > > Is there a  version 2.3 like above?
> >
> > I don't think Jeremiah has found time to build one, but that
> > version
> > 2.3.1 is *extremely* similar, just a couple of extra commands and
> > minor
> > wording of help texts.
>
> Is there instructions somewhere on the wording  and commands any were
> that a dommy can follow?
> > > What version of LilyPond  is used with Denemo v2,3?
> >
> > There will be the current stable LilyPond included in the zip file
> > for
> > Windows, but you can always change the version of LilyPond Denemo
> > uses
> > to one you have installed separately by using the Preferences.
>
> Thank you
> > I occurred to me after I last wrote that there is a bug report open
> > saying that the Denemo installer for Windows (*not* the zip file
> > no-
> > install versions) overwrites the PATH environment variable. If you
> > have
> > been hit by this then it's not impossible that the error message
> > about
> > not finding a system DLL is connected to that. Very strange that
> > you
> > would see this message while trying to run Denemo but not other
> > programs, as this has not been reported as causing problems, but it
> > would affect some previously installed programs that had set the
> > PATH
> > to suit themselves. The only fix in that case would be to reset the
> > PATH environment variable to whatever the system intended it to
> > contain. But it's a long shot.
>
> I took computer to the store were i got the computer.   They said
> that i had a bug from a MS update.   ??   And he remove something
> that he said would cause me problem.   Again ??   I did remove all
> the LilyPond  stuff before i took it to the store
> because it did not work.   I have not had time to reinstall any thing
> other than LilyPond, which works Quick check on the desktop.   If i
> now have a Path problem from overwriting, from the installer, i would
> not have a clue to fix it.

Don't bother with the installer, instead use the zip file - best is

http://www.denemo.org/~jjbenham/mxe/denemo.zip

To do this download the file to a convenient place (a USB stick if you
want to carry it around with
you). Unpack (“Extract”) the downloaded file (denemo-mingw-2.2.zip) by
right-clicking and choosing Extract. This gives you a folder called
denemo-2.3.1, double click on that and then double click on the file
Denemo in that folder. (It is a Windows Batch file, Denemo.bat). This
will launch Denemo – it takes a long time to launch the first time you
use it. You can set up a shortcut to that file to make launching Denemo
easy.

Loaded http://www.denemo.org/~jjbenham/mxe/denemo.zip downloaded denemo.zip not denemo-mingw-2.2.zip.
Extracted to denemo not denemo-2.3.1,     Also checking Help, it said that it was version 2.3.0, close enough.

It opened but could not write to the PDF window; error "Could not open output file for writing".      The work/entr window seems to work fine but every entry give the error, which has to be cleared to make the next entry.    Just to be clear there is nothing wrong with the software it has to be my computer.

Thank You,
ƒg

HTH