Re: Shortcuts text colour and Command Center window problems on Puppy Li

From: Lib Lists
Subject: Re: Shortcuts text colour and Command Center window problems on Puppy Linux
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 19:51:27 +0200

Sorry for double post and the previous unfinished message.

On Sat, 29 Feb 2020 at 19:20, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, 2020-02-29 at 18:51 +0200, Lib Lists wrote:
> > Hi Richard,
> > thanks for your message.
> > Answers below,
> >
> [...]
> > > That's very interesting to know that it is possible to get the
> > > latest
> > > Denemo on a Mac. What version of Denemo do you have working, and
> > > where
> > > did it come from?
> >
> > Latest Denemo (version 2.3.2), compiled from source, downloaded from
> > the git repository https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/denemo.git
>
> great!

> > > The color of the keyboard shortcuts is hard wired, unfortunately,
> > > and I
> > > see from your picture that it doesn't work well with themes that
> > > use a
> > > dark background with light colored lettering. The menu background
> > > color
> > > and the color of the labels in the menus is not hard-wired by
> > > Denemo
> > > however, so theming should work for them. I've not explored how
> > > themes
> > > can be chosen under Gtk though so I can't really go beyond saying
> > > it
> > > should work :( Do other Gtk-based applications change appropriately
> > > on
> > > that virtual machine?
> >
> > Hi, just tested with Abiword
> is that a Gtk based program (or Qt for example)?

Yes it's a Gtk program.

> > and the 'theme chooser' application and
> > everything works correctly. However, Denemo menus don't change, only
> > its title bar does.
>
> Hmm, it sounds like there is more than one layer of theming here: your
> window manager is being themed by your "theme chooser" but not actual
> program - Gtk allows the user to theme the programs compiled with it
> and it comes with a number of themes to choose from. But I haven't
> experimented with it (or if I have it was long enough ago for me to
> forget...).

I really don't know the inner working of Puppy Linux, there's a JWM
Theme Switcher and a Gtk+ 2.0 Change Theme 0.3.1 application.

> > > The appearance of the window without decorations is presumably some
> > > bug
> > > in the Gtk version you are compiled or running with... I can be
> > > pretty
> > > certain Denemo does not request a window without decorations for
> > > the
> > > Command Center.
> >
> > I've used libgtk-3-dev_3.22.30
>
> I see I have 3.22.11 which I guess is what my Debian oldstable comes
> with.

> > > I tested this (on Debian) and the menu remains visible but can be
> > > dismissed by clicking off the menu (e.g. clicking on the Command
> > > Center
> > > itself). Does that not happen with your version?
> >
> > Yes, the same happens here.
>
> ok, then that is the "normal" behavior - perhaps it could pop-down the
> menu when that option is chosen, it would need a bug filing against it
> if it is behavior that bothers you...

Why not, it feels like an unnecessary click to pop the menu down every time.

Thank you for your help!