Re: Help with Windows installer - nsis

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Help with Windows installer - nsis
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2020 10:29:50 +0100

On Tue, 2020-06-02 at 10:14 +0100, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi Richard,
> On a 5 year old HP laptop running Windows 10 it installed fine.
> There is a shortcut in the start menu and one on the desktop.
Ah! I don't see those on Vista - what icon is used (I'm guessing some
sort of system default rather than the Denemo icon)?
> And the program seems to start fine, asking me if I want to keep my
> old
> commands, snippets etc.
That would be very strange if you already had run any denemo version
2.4.0 on the machine - is it that this machine hasn't previously run
that version?

>  (I haven't run it fully, just started it up)
> Was it supposed to run denemo by a click on a music.denemo file?

You have to set up file associations - if you right click a
music.denemo file and choose "Open with ..." and select Denemo.bat and
then click on "Use this always" or some such it will happen.

I think it would be possible to tell the installer to do that but my
guess is it would involve registry entries and I wanted to avoid that
for fear of upsetting someone.

> That
> doesn't happen - I go into an XML reader.
> It downloaded

Do you mean installed?

>  rather slower than I am used to with the daily file; were
> you standing on your ethernet cable (??!!)
> And it gave a window with every file name being extracted

that's an optional feature - I think it helps to reassure people that
something is happening.

>  (this may be
> normal- I don't install many applications these days). The sheer
> number
> of them made me wonder at the size of the beast!

yes, it's got LilyPond in there and a certain amount of stuff not
needed but which would take too much investigations to identify :(

Thanks very much for the help.

Richard