Re: A few questions about using Denemo on Windows

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: A few questions about using Denemo on Windows
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2020 09:04:04 +0100

On Sun, 2020-08-09 at 09:45 +0200, Edgar Aichinger wrote:
> Hello back,
>
> I'll comment on #1 only:
>
> Am Sonntag, 9. August 2020, 07:11:18 CEST schrieb Petr Pařízek:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've discovered Denemo just recently and I'd like to ask a few
> > questions
> > before I give it a try.
> >
> > #1. Not sure whether the following is a bug in the ".zip" file or
> > in
> > WinRar or in my version of Windows. When I try to extract the
> > ".zip"
> > file containing the newest version of Denemo, WinRar tells me that
> > the
> > Terminfo subdirectory, both in the Share and Lib directories,
> > contains a
> > lot of duplicate file names, which means I get a lot of questions
> > like
> > "File exists, replace?" And I have to choose "Yes to all" if I want
> > avoid that. A different extracting program (Zip Reader from
> > PKWare)
> > seems to get confused and creates empty subdirectories whenever it
> > finds
> > a duplicate name in the archive. I have double-checked that the
> > destination directory did not exist on my hard drive before I
> > started
> > the extraction. Are the duplicate names a bug in the ".zip" file or
> > am I
> > supposed to do something about this?
>

> I blame WinRAR and Zip Reader, both of which don't seem to be able to
> handle case sensitiveness on NTFS correctly. The zip archive contains
> terminfo database files, and uses several subfolders, like, for
> example, both "e" and "E" exist and contain files with the same name
> (or becoming the same name again if you ignore case).
>
> I just extracted the zip file without issues to a NTFS data partition
> from within my linux, using Ark and the linux commandline programs it
> uses.
>
> Next I rebooted to Windows 10, and tried using the extraction tools
> built into the file explorer, WinRAR, 7Zip and PeaZip.
>
> Both the Windows builtin routines and WinRAR threw the errors you
> talk about, 7Zip and PeaZip correctly created all the content,
> distinguishing lower- and uppercase folder names...

I just experimented with deleting the terminfo directories in share and
lib and ran Denemo under wine without them - a *very* limited
experimentation seemed to indicate that they aren't actually needed.
Sadly these bundles seem to contain a lot of debris - I looked up the
*caca* files that are in the bin directory, thinking cacaclock.exe
can't be useful and it would seem that this has just been dragged in by
accident. All of which increases the chance of some virus watching
program falsely claiming an .exe has a virus.

If someone with a Windows machine would try running Denemo for an
extended time without the terminfo directories I could arrange to
disuse them.